Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Does Anyone Read BLOGS<Click Here
Snippets

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Anand Jon gets 59 yrs

anand jon

After Indian-origin designer Anand Jon was sentenced to 59 years in prison by an LA court on Monday, his sister Sanjana spoke to DT from the US.

She said, “It’s terrible. Anand had fired all his attorneys because he wanted to defend himself. He filed as many as 20-30 motions for a new trial but the judge didn’t even as much as look at them. He told Anand, ‘Take it to the appellate court.’”
Did she get to meet Anand before or after the trial? “I met him after the trial but all I can do is look at him through a glass and speak to him over the phone. I don’t think we can ever get justice in this country. And I am not talking only as Anand’s sister, I’m talking as an Indian citizen who has been wronged in the US,” she said, adding, “My mother has not come to terms with the decision yet. She collapsed in court and is unable to believe that Anand has been given a 59-year-long jail term.”
Fash frat on AJ
Fashion designer Anand Jon has been sentenced to a 59-year-long jail term by the US judiciary. His sister, Sanjana Jon, who said she ‘knocked every door, window and wall’ in India for support, was in India recently to ask for help again. Fashion designers who
support her, react...
“Sanjana has been fighting for her brother for quite some time, even though the government was not very supportive. I met Anand once and I must say, he turned out to be a very talented, gracious and well-mannered guy. I feel they were already against him and were also very rigid... He was not given enough chance to fight his case. It’s unfortunate and I feel it’s unfair.” – Shibani Kashyap
“Now that the verdict is out, not much can be done, but all I know is that it must have been a big shock for Sanjana. I have met the family, but not Anand, a few times, they’ve been extremely good. As for racial discrimination, it cannot be ruled out. But for sure, whatever has happened, is very sad. Sanjana was surely not prepared for this.”

– Charu Parashar

“I’ll not say anything about whether he’s right or wrong, but everyone has the right to get a fair deal, so that no questions are left unanswered in anyone’s mind. Everything needs to be answered and that’s everyone’s right.”

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/fashion/designers/Anand-gets-59-yrs-/articleshow/4959933.cms

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment