Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Does Anyone Read BLOGS<Click Here
Snippets

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

'My personal 9/11': Tennis legend Martina Navratilova reveals her heartache at being diagnosed with breast cancer

 

Fears: Martina Navratilova says she cried when she was diagnosed with breast cancer

Fears: Martina Navratilova says she cried when she was diagnosed with breast cancer

Tennis legend Martina Navratilova has revealed that she has been diagnosed with breast cancer.

The 53-year-old admitted she was 'devastated' by the news as she announced she is battling the disease on a U.S. TV show.

The former champion said she was diagnosed with the DCIS form of cancer in February and described the bad news as 'my personal 9/11'.

Navratilova said on ABC's Good Morning America that she had not had a mammogram in four years before she got a check-up.

Navratilova appeared on GMA to urge other women to get a yearly check-up for breast cancer.

The star said she has already had lumpectomy surgery and will receive six-weeks of radiation treatment, which gives the disease just a ten per cent chance of recurring.

Navratilova says she hopes to continue working as a tennis analyst through her treatment.

'It is kind of good news and bad news. I have breast cancer but it is DCIS, which is a non-invasive form of breast cancer and I have a very great chance at recovery and just a small chance of it coming back.

'So that is the deal,' she said on GMA.

Pain: Navratilova admitted she was devastated by the news as she announced she is battling the disease on Good Morning America

Pain: Navratilova admitted she was devastated by the news as she announced she is battling the disease on Good Morning America

'I found out February 24, it was my personal 9/11. I was shocked as I was sure that the calcifications were benign.

'I was devastated. Physically I could not think or move, I was useless. 

'That is where it helps to have a good support group and my best friend is my OB-GYN.

At first I thought I would keep it private and that there was no need to talk about it.

'But the more I found out about what it was, I thought "This is ridiculous."

'I am a healthy person, I am a health and fitness ambassador, I have been healthy all my life and all of a sudden I have cancer. Are you kidding me?

'But I took four years before I had my last mammogram, I let it slide.  "I moved, I changed doctors and I thought I would get to it.

The tennis legend won a record nine Wimbledon women's single finals during her three-decade-long career

Champion: The tennis legend won a record nine Wimbledon women's single finals during her three-decade-long career

'I didn't realise that it had been four years. I want to encourage women to have that yearly check-up.

'I am lucky that this DCIS had started in the last year, if it had started in the last three years I would have been in deep trouble.

'I would have needed chemotherapy, the cancer would have spread. It is just in that one breast and I will be okay.

'I had a biopsy, which is how we found that it was positive, and a lumpectomy three weeks ago.

'I played some hockey games in between and two weeks after it I did the biking portion of a triathlon.

'I needed to keep going. But when I got the news from the doctors I still went to hockey practice that night and I could barely skate.

'The emotions took so much physical strength out of me, I didn't realise how much impact physically this has on you.

'Both my sister and my mother had those calcifications but they were benign. I drew the short straw I guess.'

She spoke to U.S. website People about the moment in February when a biopsy came back positive after a routine mammogram revealed a cluster in her left breast.

'I cried,' she said. 'It knocked me on my ass, really. I feel so in control of my life and my body, and then this comes, and it's completely out of my hands.'

She was diagnosed with a non-invasive form of breast cancer called ductal carcinoma in situ, or DCIS, which in her case was confined to the milk ducts and had not spread to the breast tissue.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment